"Be the change you want to see in the world." -Mahatma Gandhi

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Day Thirteen: Going Above and Beyond

So, I’ve mentioned it once or twice on this blog (and I’m positive that if you know me in real life I’ve mentioned this in conversation several times) but on the 9th, my birthday, I got promoted from hostess to waitress at the restaurant I work at.
Now, I’m a very good hostess.  (I’ve been a hostess for about a year and a half- I should hope I have my job down by now!)  In fact, I’m so good at my job my manager was pretty hesitant about promoting me.  I’m the best at running the front, seating people and directing my bussers where to go next.  (There is a science dedicated to seating people in a restaurant, I swear.  Only people who have worked as a restaurant greeter for an extended period of time will get where I’m coming from when I say that.)
Anyway, I’m a server (currently in training), but I still play the role of a greeter when they need me.  (Which, might I add, is awesome.  It makes me feel needed and valuable!)  Today was one of those days that they needed me to be a greeter.
It started off as a normal, steady day.  I came in at noon and we had a good three hours.  Then, just as we cut most of our servers to go home for the day while we waited for the nighttime crew to come in, a HUGE rush of people came in.
If you aren’t aware, a greeter’s main duties are as follows: seat people at tables when they arrive and bus the tables when the people leave.That’s it.But today, I went above and beyond my job description.
When the rush came in, my coworker and I took on thirteen tables together.
THIRTEEN!
Just to put this into feasible terms, we have thirty one tables in our whole restaurant.  That means the two of us handled 41% of the restaurant.  And, not to be conceded here, but we rocked it.  Totally and completely rocked it.
Remember what I said my duties as a hostess where?  Well today I added getting drink orders, making salads, putting in orders, tracking down dishes, giving out bread and peanuts…all with a great big smile.
YES.
Today was crazy!
And it doesn’t end there.  When that rush of people left, it was probably 5 o’clock.  When 6 o’clock hit ANOTHER huge rush came in.  Only this time, I had many more servers and my fellow greeters to help me out. 
I stayed up front taking reservations, answering phone calls, talking to servers about their tables, and telling my co-worker what I needed done for another three hours.  And boy!  Was it fun!
I left today with nine hours of work completed, instead of the set eight hours I thought I was going to complete.  It felt great! I put my entire heart into doing a good job, when I could’ve so easily said, “Nah.  That’s not MY job.”
This is my positive act for the day because it made me realize that my positive attitude is what helps make things work. 
Just IMAGINE what this world would be like if everyone, ever day experienced such a positive mentality!
Go above and beyond what you are called to do.  And do it with a smile.
J

No comments:

Post a Comment