"Be the change you want to see in the world." -Mahatma Gandhi

Monday, September 17, 2012

Day Eight: No Text on Board

So, I’m a pretty good driver if I do say so myself.  I’ve never got into a car accident and I’ve never been pulled over (except for that one time I got pulled over because I didn’t have a license plate light.  And still.  I only got a warning.)

However, I am guilty of two things…
For one, I speed.  Not excessively- just five miles over the limit.  But those limits are set for a reason- to protect people’s safety.  And two, I text while driving sometimes.
It was just put into effect that texting while driving is illegal in a few cities around me.  And I’m kind of glad.  It will make me thing twice when I want to pick up my phone when I’m behind the wheel.  And if a ticket isn’t enough to keep you from texting while driving:
Three Facts that will Make You Think Twice about Texting and Driving

1. Texting while driving results in longer response time then driving drunk.

2. While looking at your phone for five seconds on a typical highway, you can cover more area than the length of a football field. 

3. An accident can happen in two to three seconds while texting.

Today, my positive act is driving safely.  Making sure that I keep putting my seatbelt on and pledging to stop texting and driving.  I even promise to leave early, so I don’t have to speed!
I took the pledge, and so can you.
and
And the best part?
 For each pledge not to text and drive, AT&T will give NOYS, the National Organization for Youth Safety, $2 to help keep our roads safe (up to $50,000).

No comments:

Post a Comment