"Be the change you want to see in the world." -Mahatma Gandhi

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Day Eleven: Puppy Love!


Name: Neo
Gender: Male
My nickname for him: Buhbuh!
Breed: Boxer Lab
Age: 10
Adopted from the Humane Society at 4 months old

Name: Brody
Gender: Male
My nickname for him: Bro-bro!
Breed: Boxer
Age: 11
Adopted...mostly from the Humane Society (the way we got Brody is an interesting tale for another day) at one year old. 
 

I LOVE my dogs.  They cuddle up nice and close to me when I’m trying to sleep, find my bras and run around the house with them like they are squeaky toys, and lick my tears away when I’m sad.  And what’s really sad is that when I’m gone for extended periods of time, I don’t really miss “home”- I miss my puppies. 
I don’t think my life would be the same without my dogs. 
But sometimes, life gets in the way from me showing them how much I care about them.  A school assignment takes priority over playing fetch with them, or I have to go to work instead of going for a long walk with them. 
So today, I made an effort to put all that extra stuff aside and play with them.
I know, it doesn’t sound like much.  What’s the big deal about throwing a ball a few times?  But think!  Pets are part of our family.  Doesn’t that automatically mean that they are part of our community too?  And it’s in a dog’s blood to run around and play!  It's what makes THEM happy!  THAT'S what this project is about- benefiting the community, making people (or family members of another species!) happy!
The best part about playing with Brody and Neo is that not only were THEY happy, I was too.  It made me feel good, seeing them romp around.  And you need to realize that pets are incredible creatures that protect you and love you no matter what- but they aren’t going to be around forever.
We need to love them while we have them.
 
"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions; they pass no criticisms." -George Eliot

No comments:

Post a Comment