"Be the change you want to see in the world." -Mahatma Gandhi

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Day Fourteen: Trying my Best

So yesterday, like I said in my last post, I was a server in training.  TODAY, I AM a server.  I got to be on my own with tables, writing orders, typing them into the computer, taking everything to the table…I didn’t realize how much room for error there was as a waitress!  Which, luckily!  I haven’t made many mistakes yet- yet being the operative word.  (As I’m typing this, it’s only 4:15.  I have to go back to work at 5.)

Today my positive act of the day is trying my best.
I’m not going to lie- waitressing makes me nervous.  I want SO bad to be great at it.  But, I decided instead of trying for perfection, I should just try for the best I’m capable of doing.
When you try your best at something, everyone benefits.  For instance, in my situation today, trying my best at waitressing benefits the restaurant by increasing sales or introducing people to a great restaurant that people want to come back to.  By increasing sales and creating “regulars,” I can do my part to increase my co-workers wages since a percentage of my tips gets evenly distributed throughout the restaurant.
By trying my best, I feel accomplished.  And rightfully so!  Even if I fail miserably, at least I know I gave it the best I had.  If I would try for perfection, I would constantly let myself down.  No one is perfect-especially on their very first day.
Your best is all anyone should ever ask of you, ya know.  That’s all you should ever ask of YOURSELF!  So, do me a favor?  Next time you are pressured to be flawless, remember this:
“There are two kinds of perfect: The one you can never achieve, and the other, by just being yourself.” -Lauren King

No comments:

Post a Comment