Today, I played a vocabulary
game for 925 million undernourished people.
One in seven people in this world do not get enough food to be healthy. In fact, hunger and malnutrition are the number one risks to health around the globe, surpassing AIDs, malaria, and tuberculosis combined.
When I read that fact, I was shocked! Here I am, healthy and active, worrying about
all the homework I have to get done by tomorrow, while others on this earth are
worried about getting their next meal. That’s
just surreal to me.
I was ecstatic when I heard about www.freerice.com. Freerice is a website that donates 10 grains
of rice through the World Food Programme for every question you get right in a
vocabulary game. In a vocabulary game? What?
Yes. The mission of
freerice is to educate and feed as many people as possible. By playing a vocabulary game (There are other
subjects to play too, like math, science, and foreign languages, at all different levels.) you are
learning. In fact, they have a list of
benefits on their website.
This website helps you:
- “Better formulate your ideas.
- Write more effective papers, emails, and business letters.
- Speak more precisely and persuasively.
- Comprehend more of what you read.
- Read faster because your comprehension improves.
- Get higher grades in high school, college and graduate school.
- Increase your scores on tests like the SAT, GRE, LSAT and GMAT.
- Improve your performance at job interviews and conferences.
- Sell yourself, your services, and your products more effectively.
- Be more successful in your job.”
To get started, just go to www.freerice.com and start clicking! The game is right there for you on the
homepage. You don’t even have to have an account! Although if you want one, you can create one.
My mom and I donated 1,310 grains of rice.
How many can YOU raise?
No comments:
Post a Comment