"Be the change you want to see in the world." -Mahatma Gandhi

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Day Twenty-Three: Being Informed

As a senior, I am required to take an American Government class.  And today, this class drove my positive act.

We were required to host a political forum for our district’s State Senate and House of Representative candidates today.  We asked questions that we thought of ourselves and each candidate came up and talked about said question for two minutes.
And I listened intently.
A few weeks ago, I registered to vote.  Voting is a right that I do not take lightly.  People have risked their lives for our right to voice our mind. We should exercise that right to honor these people. In fact, I find not voting almost disrespectful.
However, if you choose not to vote, that is your right as an American citizen as well.
One thing that I don’t find right at all is voting without being informed.  In fact, I’d rather you not vote at all then to just vote without knowing the facts.
This is why the political forum that our American Government class meant so much to me.
If you had the chance to change your state or country, why wouldn’t you?  With the right leadership, we are possible of such amazing things.
So, please, inform yourself about the issues and the candidates.
You have the RIGHT as an American to make a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment