"Be the change you want to see in the world." -Mahatma Gandhi

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Day Twenty-Four: Respecting my Mother

Not many people know this, but I have family trouble.  The past year, specifically, has been really hard for me.  And boy!  The rumors I hear about my family just make everything harder.

I find that sometimes, anger gets build up inside of me.  And the person I take it out on the most is my mom.
Anything and everything about her ticks me off when I’m in that “let me be angry” stage.  And I know that it makes her really upset.  She only has one more year with her little girl before I leave for college and she’s on her own.
Today, for my positive act, I tried to respect her.  When I get in those angry stages, I just slam her with insults.  I can’t believe how disrespectful, ungrateful, and spiteful I get sometimes.  I know I need to change and treat her with value- because she is worth so much.
My mom and I were stuck in a car today for about an hour to get my senior pictures done.  I sincerely tried my best to be pleasant.  We talked like normal human beings instead of irate cats and dogs.  We laughed, debated about which lip and cheek color I should use for my photos, and, eventually, we even started singing to the radio together.
While I was getting my senior pictures taken I actually talked to my mother instead of ignoring her like I thought I would’ve.
And it felt good.
We are taught to treat others with respect, but we rarely think of our parents as people who also need to be respected.  Especially when a person is going through a hard time in the family.
I vow to make an effort to continue treating my mom with respect.
I want a stronger relationship with my mother.  Because, like I said…I only have one more year before I leave for college.

No comments:

Post a Comment