"Be the change you want to see in the world." -Mahatma Gandhi

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Day Thirty: Twitter Talk

So, because of this project, I’ve realized the impact the internet has on society.   Information is passed around so quickly!  It’s great!  And the things we can do with it…it is unimaginable!

I’ve tried to do things that are easy to do in your everyday life for this project.  I’m really trying to stress that making a big difference doesn’t have to be something incredibly time-consuming or noticeable.  It’s the little things that can add up to extraordinary things.
So today, I followed someone on Twitter.
Yes, I know how that sounds.  How could following someone on Twitter possibly be beneficial to the local or world community?  Let me explain.
@St0pChildAbuse, the Twitter handle I started following, has vowed to donate 5 cents to Love Our Children USA for every follower they get.  By clicking one button, I’ve helped a child in need.  And my good deed didn’t end there, but we’ll get into that later.
First, I want to tell you about this cause.  You see,
Three million children are victims of violence or neglect.
This number is 3x greater if you add the cases that haven’t been reported yet.
Every 10 seconds child abuse and neglect is reported.
5 children die every day because of abuse or neglect.
Love Our Children USA believes in stopping abuse and neglect by educating parents and creating programs that empower positive changes in things such as family attitudes and bullying prevention.
To sum it up:
“The goal of Love Our Children USA is keeping children safe and strengthening families.”
This is the last sentence of Love Our Children USA’s mission statement.  To learn more about this cause, go to www.loveourchildrenusa.org.

I wanted to get this cause as much help as I could.  So, once I followed @St0pChildAbuse, I made sure to tweet what I had just done.  I told my friends to retweet and follow this cause.  And I also tweeted some big people on Youtube about it.
As I’ve said in previous posts, I love watching Youtube beauty videos.  But we YouTube beauty gurus know that it’s what’s inside that counts.  I knew that if I asked, someone would help me spread the word about this.
Meghanrosette on Youtube has 169,994 subscribers and 32,380 Twitter followers.  And she retweeted my cause!  Think about it this way.  If only half of her Twitter followers follow @St0pChildAbuse, that’s $809.50 right there.  And think about her followers that also retweeted.  And the followers of the ones that retweeted Megan’s followers!
(**Since posted, Alexxandraaxo, with 14,974 Twitter followers, has also retweeted my cause!**)

I know that that’s a confusing mesh of words, but just trust me.  That’s a lot of people.
So get involved and get everyone you know involved too.
 
We can keep ALL children safe. Together.

No comments:

Post a Comment