"Be the change you want to see in the world." -Mahatma Gandhi

Monday, October 8, 2012

Day Twenty-Eight: Cupcakes and Pediatric Cancer

A few weeks ago, I was talking to my manager about random things- college, movies, favorite foods- and he mentioned to me that he loves carrot cake.  So, since today is payday, I decided to make some carrot cake cupcakes with buttercream frosting!

The first step was finding a good carrot cake cupcake recipe.  When it comes to baking, I don’t trust myself without one.  I headed to pinterest.com and within three minutes I had a fairly effortless recipe with easy -to-track-down ingredients.
I went to Wal-Mart, picked up the ingredients, and raced back home.  I love baking!
I had two problems while making these cupcakes.  For one, I needed three cups of grated carrots.  That means me, the most uncoordinated person you’ve ever met, had to sit down and rub carrots back and forth on really sharp cheese grater.  I did, in fact, grate my finger quite a few times.  Luckily, I had Angry Bird Band-Aids!
The next problem I encounter happened when I was ready to do the frosting.  I had all the ingredients, but instead of sixteen ounces of cream cheese, I only had one eight ounce package.  I called up my mom and she told me to just keep going.  The cupcakes would be fine.
And they were!
So, tomorrow, when I go into work to pick up my paycheck, I’ll drop off these cupcakes for my manager and co-workers.  Hopefully, I’ll make someone’s day!  If there is one thing I’ve learned about being a waitress is that your attitude really makes or breaks your night.  You can make some good money in tips if you are in a good mood!
J
The last thing I wanted to mention today was a video about Pediatric Cancer, http://www.causes.com/causes/789392-powering-the-possible/actions/1672930?utm_campaign=browse.   On this link, it is said that “pediatric cancer is the leading cause of disease-related death for children in the U.S. between the ages of 1-14.”  I know that I did a post on children’s cancer awareness earlier this month, but this issue is a big deal!  Watch the video and you will not only become informed about this kind of cancer, but Dell will donate one dollar to a pediatric cancer research center. Currently, $36,457 has been raised.  The goal is $50,000.
It literally takes 2 minutes and five seconds.  That’s it.
Please watch this video.  Every little bit helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment