Something else you may not know about me is that I mentor
for fifth grade. I correct papers, clean
and organize the classroom, and answer students’ questions. What’s really cool is that the fifth grade
teacher is the same teacher I had in elementary school- my favorite teacher
I’ve had my entire school career.
It goes without saying that my big, excited,
almost-18-year-old mouth told my favorite teacher about my birthday probably
weeks before it was even September. And
she remembered. And she made it amazing.
It was 9:10 on Thursday, September 6th*. (See! This meant so much to me I remember almost
everything- even the littlest details. I
NEVER remember the little details.) The
second period bell echoed through the halls as I walked into the fifth grade
classroom. I recall that the lights were
off and a feeling of anticipation washed through me. Mentoring is my favorite part of the day.
I was venturing to my student mentoring desk as the entire
classroom burst into singing!
“Happy birthday to
you! Happy birthday to you!...”
When the singing was over a giant, homemade card popped out
of nowhere! All the kids had signed it
with squiggly letters and misspelled words.
It made me so happy!
A little boy even gave me a beautiful bookmark! Beaming, I walked out of the classroom to put
up social studies projects in the hallway, and when I came back to my desk, a
Maurice’s gift card greeted me.
It was an amazing
birthday.
*Because of
Homecoming on September 7th and the weekend, the fifth graders
couldn’t celebrate my birthday on its exact day, September 9th.
I wanted to do something to show my supreme gratitude for
what the fifth graders did for me. So,
in the spirit of my senior project, I wrote a thank you letter!
My mom always stressed thank you letters. In fourth grade I had my ninth birthday
party. And after all the cake was eaten
and presents where opened, my mom forced me the write thank you letters. I thought it was the stupidest thing in the
world.
I mean, I already said thank you! Why should I have to do it again? So reluctantly, I wrote 20-some Thank You’s
with no effort at all. And my mom had me
rewrite each one of them.
Now that I’m 18, I know the importance of writing thank you
letters. The person who gave you
something doesn’t HAVE to give you it.
They went out of their way to make YOUR life better. You need to be grateful and, more
importantly, SHOW your thankfulness.
Thank you letters don’t have to be anything huge and
expensive. The one I created was made of
construction paper for crying out loud!
Just make sure to put in as much time and effort in it as you can.


No comments:
Post a Comment